Race Direction has issued the following statement, regarding the race format for Sunday’s Australian MotoGP at Phillip Island.
All riders will be forced to make a pit stop to change bikes, due to tyre concerns.
“We have been notified by Bridgestone that they are unable to guarantee safety of their rear slick tyres beyond 14 laps. It has therefore been decided to make the following changes to the MotoGP class race in the interests of the safety of the riders.
“1. The race distance will be 26 laps.
“2. Every rider will be required to enter the pits and change to his second machine with fresh tyres at least once during the race.
“3. No rider is permitted to make more than 14 laps on any one slick rear tyre. This means that a bike/tyre change before lap 12 will require a second bike/tyre change to finish the race.
“4. Riders using “Factory” and “Satellite” machines will be required to use the “hard” option tyre (B51DR). Extra quantity will be allocated by Bridgestone.
“5. Riders using CRT machines will be required to use CRT “hard” option tyre (B50DR). Extra quantity will be allocated by Bridgestone.
“6. The pit lane speed limit zone will be extended both on entry and exit, and the exit route to rejoin the track will be marked by a white line in the runoff area. Crossing this line whilst rejoining the track from pit lane will result in a penalty.”
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 1m 27.899s (Lap 6/7)
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 28.120s (6/8)
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 1m 28.647s (7/9)
4. Alvaro Bautista ESP Go&Fun Honda Gresini (RC213V) 1m 28.713s (7/9)
5. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 28.748s (9/9)
6. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 28.809s (8/9)
7. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 28.941s (7/9)
8. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team (GP13) 1m 29.295s (7/8)
9. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP13) 1m 29.660s (8/9)
10. Andrea Iannone ITA Energy T.I. Pramac Racing (GP13) 1m 29.756s (8/9)
11. Colin Edwards USA NGM Forward Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 1m 30.264s (2/2)
12. Randy De Puniet FRA Power Electronics Aspar (ART CRT) 1m 30.735s (6/7)
13. Aleix Espargaro ESP Power Electronics Aspar (ART CRT) 1m 30.081s (2/7)
14. Claudio Corti ITA NGM Forward Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 1m 30.530s (2/7)
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Ignite Pramac Racing (GP13) 1m 30.641s (7/9)
16. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Avintia Blusens (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 1m 30.733s (3/8)
17. Danilo Petrucci ITA Came IodaRacing Project (Suter-BMW CRT)* 1m 30.894s (7/8)
18. Michael Laverty GBR Paul Bird Motorsport (ART CRT) 1m 30.979s (4/9)
19. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Blusens (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 1m 31.061s (3/8)
20. Luca Scassa ITA Cardion AB Motoracing (ART CRT) 1m 31.093s (7/9)
21. Bryan Staring AUS Go&Fun Honda Gresini (FTR-Honda CRT) 1m 31.775s (3/8)
22. Lukas Pesek CZE Came IodaRacing Project (Suter-BMW CRT)* 1m 32.474s (8/8)
23. Damian Cudlin AUS Paul Bird Motorsport (PBM-ART CRT)* 1m 33.007s (3/8)
* Standard ECU.